Thursday, July 7, 2011

Captain's Log... Wound Allocation...

 


So after a goodly amount of games using 'Death Hammer' ( I know Ray, I know! :P) I find myself at a crossroad.



I currently run my terminator squads as:

1x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield + CML
1x Storm Bolter + Chain Fist
1x Storm Bolter + Power Fist
2x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield

This set-up gives me four 'slots' to allocate wounds. It's been 'ok' in my opinion but I haven't run into any 'heavy hitters' as in players yet so I am still unsure. The storm bolters are 'ok' too but nothing to write home to momma about.

I'm leaning towards this:

1x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield + CML
1x Storm Bolter + Chain Fist
3x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield

I drop the power fist terminator, gain a TH + SS terminator and drop my wound allocation slots to three. I have the models to replace the PF Termies so that is not a reason I am unsure.

Three or four slots? Which is better? I feel like I am splitting hairs.

I read 'net lists' that favor two (YTTH by Stelek) and then others like RayJ has suggested. I was hoping one of you out there on the web might have some thoughts.

Oh... RayJ... if not 'Death Hammer' then what? :P

I'll be in the corner slapping paint on plastic and watching the 'Bride with White Hair'...

CK

3 comments:

  1. For reasons only related to fluff and my general feelings on the subject, each squad should have either an assault cannon or a heavy flamer.

    Other than that, I think you should only have a couple storm shields. Even if I get my lone company command squad with 3x plasma guns near you and rapid fire, you are probably only going to get 3 wounds out of it. Honestly, people don't have enough AP 2 weapons to justify having all those shields.

    The majority of people are going to try and take you down with the sheer weight of fire from 'a thousands cuts' than be able to hit you with tons of AP 2 weapons all game long. Any multiple AP 2 weapon units should be a high priority for you to smash anyway.

    1x Assault Cannon(Heavy Flamer or Cyclone) + Power Fist / Chain Fist
    1x Storm Bolter + Power Fist
    1x Storm Bolter + Chain Fist
    2x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield

    As far as Chain Fists Vs Power Fists, go with what you can for the points. More models > power fists

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have thrown myself for a loop since my last game was against 40 Khorne Berserkers.

    I set up as I was going first, using bikes instead of dreds, and lost the initiative. My plan was to 'stuff' him in his 12 - 24 inch range band and 'tarpit' him with a couple or three squads.

    I 'stuffed' him anyway but in mid-field which provided just enough movement to get him a second objective for the win.

    I know 'weight' of fire/CC is tough with a small elite army.

    I'm just wondering if a third storm shield in each squad is going to do me any good? I see it as comparable to leaving the powerfist in, with no real advantage either way I could go.

    Just putting the thinking cap on in the corner...

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're sticking with just dreads and terminators, I'd just call it Classic Deathwing.

    As for squad makeup, I understand the want to change the equipment on the sergeant and bring in more storm shields (or to swap out for lighning claws on him).

    The balance of 3 wound groups vs 4 in Deathwing doesn't make a huge impact over the course of many games (at least in my experience). In a tournament setting you will frequently run into situations while using one method that the other would work better (and vice versa).

    more storm shields is better when you're facing units with masses of power weapons or ap1/ap2 shots (grey knights, incubi, wolf guard terminators, fire dragons, etc)

    extra wound groups will help more with units that only have one or two weapons capable of penetrating armor, as you will have more opportunities to stack and can situationally throw wounds at the model that will ahve the least impact (be that immediate or a couple turns down the road).

    I like running the extra storm bolter right now as a means of dealing with Orks and Guardsmen at range. Both codices can have massive blobs of light armor troops, and while those army builds don't win tournaments, they can keep DA from getting to the higher tables where they are appropriately geared to compete.

    Think of it as covering your weakness a little. That being said, Deathwing work extremely well against MSU style armies do to an inherent killpoint advantage and high resistance to the typical weaponry used by those armies.

    ReplyDelete