Sunday, June 17, 2012

Captain's Log... All Good Things...



I am a lucky man to get a 'man-cation' on father's day weekend and that the local store was running a 40K tournament. I just have one word (for the moment)... Woohoo!

So for what it's worth I will give you a rundown of the day...




I played three games and each ended in the same theme for my day.

Game one...

I played a fellow named Andy who was running a 'truck boy' list and using two of the new 'dakka' jets. I must tell you that the 'ork jet' seem to be 'one and done' when it come to play. He held them in reserve, fired once, and then in retribution I cleared the sky. But I'm off on a tangent already... Look! A butterfly!


Original site for the 'Evil Butterfly'

The mission was a unique in that there was one objective in the middle of the table as the primary and kill points as the secondary.

I just went for it using my four rhino's loaded with grey hunters and two razorbacks (TLLC) to block  while generally mucking up the center of the board. You do this when your strength is mid-field control and I am getting mcuh better at blocking/angling and judging distances (something I have been doing very poorly).

We ended with the same amount of kill points and I failed to clear a contesting unit of boyz away from the singular objective causing the game to, after six very long turns and 2.5 hours... wait for it... a draw.

Game Two... The new shiny toasters...

Look... Olivia Wilde...



In my second game I played a young man named Matt who runs a Necron army or as I call them 'evil toasters'.


The mission was a form of seize ground where there was an objective placed in the center of the table and the center of each 'quadrant' if you divide the table into quarters. The deployment was spearhead, I lost the roll to set-up, but did manage to seize the initiative.

The highlights of the game were...

Dangerous terrain the whole game for me, wraiths just cutting down fifteen grey hunters, the 'C-tan Shard' exploding and killing everyone in unit except for the wolfen, and... yes... wait for it again... we ended in a draw due to owning objectives. The single Mark of the Wolfen Hunter surviving the wraiths and the C-tan failed to consolidate enough to contest the center objective and earn me a minor vicotry. I rolled a '1' and he was outside the three inch radius of the objective.

Sooo... now that's two draws... theme, always with the theme...

Mission three... Called "The Las Hurrah" or as the contestants called it 'Massacre or Draw... let's just roll a dice for it!'

I'm matched up against Dark Eldar with nine transports, eight jetbikes, and two larger 'jet bikes' which I have conviently forgotten the name. Everything is a skimmer in a mission where the center, and only, objective wins the game.

Now, the objective is not just there for the taking either in this mission. The objective causes everybodies toughness to be reduced by '1' and vehicles that end in the 3" radius are automatically immobilized. There is a name for this kind of stuff but there are preschool children present while I'm writing this post.

My opponent named George out of Charlottesville lined up all his transports and in return I just lined up my guys and intended to just 'go for it'... which I did. My saving grace was that I... seized the initiative for the second time of the day!

My long fangs just tore into the transports, hurting George by immobilizing his command transport and destroying  two others. The 'Reavers' flew over me and managed to kill a couple of hunters and scouts but I showed them the error of their ways and killed them without remorse. Later though...

The rest of the game went back and forth till the last two turns when the blood brides... look, here's one now...



Where was I? Oh yes, the second to last turn, blood-brides. I will endeavor to stay away from them in the future. The birdes completely wiped out eight grey hunters within a turn. Ouch! Fortunately they couldn't get to my unit contesting the objective nor could the Humonculous (sp?) kill the contestors to take center of the table.

Did I mention you have to hold the center objective for three turns to own it? No... another one of those special rules for the mission. [Insert expletive]

So, as you have probably guessed... the game ended in a draw.


It was a good day, 9th overall out of 16, and each my opponents were great people. I have to mention that George who talked me though all the special rules and questions I had about the Dark Eldar and their dark, fast, vicious ways was especially patient with me.

I'll be in other corners this week painting and writing...

CK









No comments:

Post a Comment